Re: [Vserver] Qmail inside vserver 2.0

From: Gilles Sadowski <gilles_at_harfang.homelinux.org>
Date: Fri 31 Mar 2006 - 13:56:57 BST

Hi.

> on a vserver, there is no true init process running. the only init process is
> the one which runs on the host. so modifying /etc/inittab in the vserver and
> attempting to instruct init to rescan it did nothing.

You can have a separate init with the following config file:

  /etc/vservers/i386/apps/init/style

which should contain "plain".

> however, when a vserver starts up, it does kick off the appropriate sysvinit
> scripts for its desired runlevel. So i (dkg) wrote a simple
> /etc/init.d/daemontools script to start and stop svscanboot. i based the script
> off of /etc/init.d/skeleton.

If you are going to run server programs that are meant to be supervised
(like djbdns and qmail), a nice possibility is to install "runit", which
replaces the usual System V init scripts, and provides a "daemontools"
look-alike interface.
["runit" avoids the polemic about DJB software being free (as in freedom).]

  http://smarden.org/runit/

runit really fits well with vserver.
If you are interested, I can send you the (Bash) script I use to create
Debian runit-enabled vserver guests.

Best,
Gilles

P.S. Supervision is not limited to be used with servers specially
      designed for it (see the list of sample "startup" scripts on
      the above site). [I installed vservers running slapd, postfix,
      cyrus imap, heimdal kerberos, all supervised.]