Re:[Vserver] Re: [parisc 32bit] first test of 'stable' vs 2.6.16-vs2.0.2-rc14 (-pa10 parisc tree)

From: Joel Soete <soete.joel_at_tiscali.be>
Date: Fri 31 Mar 2006 - 18:27:51 BST

Hello Herbert,

> On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 06:23:27PM +0100, Joel Soete wrote:
[...]
> > Unfortunately, it's not actualy usable because exhibit to much "BUG: soft
> > lockup detected on CPU#0!" which dramaticaly reduce the few perf of this
box ;-(.

> > It _seems_ to be a parisc kernel pb but not easy to reproduce. Can just
hope ;-)

> that's a kernel option, you might just want to
> disable this 'new' feature for now ...

Sorry for delay but this system is a bit old (and slow).

That said do you remember how much 'new' is this option (I don't have enough
space to save all kernel and config ;<( )?

Well some time ago (I find back: around 2.6.12-rc1), I already did 'just
disable' a debug option, in the hope that works better: the actual effect was
just disable to printout "BUG ..." but the underground bug effect was always
there and kernel still missbehave.

But that's a long time ago and as you're the second to 'just want to disable
this feature', I need to test.

The first thing is that, the system behaviour is still heratic:
    1/ at the console a return can answer immediately or about 30s later?

    2/ the same in a ssh connection: ls, vserver-stat ; sometime immediate
answer, sometime wait (even in the midle of the type of the cmdl)

    3/ I reach to enter a vps (awaiting about 20min) but responding from time
to time

    4/ but the system is still alive.... let it run the w-e

Thanks,
    Joel