Re: [vserver] CentOS 5.3 host update/upgrade

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Thu 16 Apr 2009 - 15:56:10 BST

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 07:39 -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Anyone (John?) running CentOS 5 as the host distribution?
>
> If so have any of you updated to CentOS 5.3?
>
> And ... John have you finished your tests on the patched yum? Results?
> Good, bad or ugly? :-)
>

> \\||/
> Rod
So far, it is working fine. Guest installations of both CentOS 5.3 and
Ubuntu 8.0.4 all ran fine. vyum from the host and yum from the guest
appear to be running fine. Cloning is fine. We are having a bit of an
issue with hashify but I do not believe this is at all related to yum.

We did hit a problem with processes spinning out of control and not
being able to be killed without a hard boot of the host. Apparently
this is not an issue with yum or CentOS but rather the 2.6.28 kernel we
are running and it is supposedly fixed in 2.6.29 so we are eagerly
awaiting the final patch from vserver. There were compelling reasons
for us to use ext4 and we felt a little funny relying on the backport
into 2.6.18 which shipped with 5.3. We normally don't play this close
to the cutting edge so it has been an adventure! Thanks for all your
help - John

--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation