Re: [vserver] Debian Support

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 29 Sep 2009 - 12:22:34 BST

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:01:39AM +0100, ben@bristolwireless.net wrote:
> Hi all,

> from some recent postings on the debian-kernel list by Ben Hutchings,
> it looks like there has been a decision within Debian to deprecate
> vserver images.

first, I'm fine with that, the images provided got
worse and worse, and the support/fixes were very sloppy,
so they actually did a lot more harm than good to both
the debian users and the Linux-VServer project

> "...we only just got back and the official minutes have not been
> sent out.

> As I recall, we don't believe that either we or upstream will be able
> to support vserver properly for the duration of squeeze.

well, that sounds about wrong, unless squeeze is going
to be the stable release for the next 10 years :)
besides that I find it arrogant and annoying that
debian folks 'declare the Linux-VServer project dead'
and finally, it is 'Linux-VServer' not 'vserver'

> If the upstream project provides a patch against the squeeze kernel
> version then we can probably use it, but we will warn that it is not
> fully supported and likely to be removed in the following release."

from my side, I told the debian folks that I'm willing
to help with integrating a patch if they decide to use
a 'supported' kernel (to me it looked like 2.6.32, which
should be fine) but that I do not want to maintain a
debian flavor for free, and that they have to find
somebody who maintains the debian Linux-VServer patch
by adding the fixes and changes we do upstream ...

> Personally I was really hoping to see a better quality Linux-Vserver
> support in Debian this time, so sad news.

> Anyone else any feelings about this?

if that happens, I'm fine with it, if not, it's not
really my problem as I do not use prebuilt kernel
images anyway ...

> Any chance of a rescue attempt?

I'd say somebody has to stand up and start maintaining
a debian specific kernel branch, my offer to help this
person with the startup still stands ...