Re: [vserver] vserver-guest & VMware/Wine?

From: Jarry <mr.jarry_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu 19 Nov 2009 - 18:09:45 GMT

Martin wrote:

>> is it possible to install and run VMware-workstation or Wine
>> on vserver-guest? I have some Windows(TM) software I want to
>> run on my server, so my choice is VMware/workstation or Wine.
>
> Wine should run fine as it is just a user space process (caveates about
> running an XServer on a guest apply, if your display is remote you
> should be fine).

May I ask which caveates you have in mind? Because I want to run
xserver on the same vserver-guest, and did not find it listed
in "Problematic Programs"...

> The only problems you are likely to have with VMWare
> is if it requires a kernel module or special access to kernel features /
> devices. If it runs as a normal user space process you should be fine.

VMware is listed in "Problematic Programs" with this info:

> VMware Server needs the following capabilities to run correctly:
> CAP_MKNOD
> CAP_SYS_MODULE
> CAP_SYS_ADMIN
> CAP_SYS_NICE
> CAP_NET_RAW
> CAP_NET_ADMIN
> CAP_IPC_OWNER
> WARNING: this configuration reduces security

So probably it could run. And I suppose VMware/workstation is
not much different from VMware/server. Anyway I would be pleased
to hear someone having personal experience with any of those two
(Wine or VMware/workstation)...

Jarry