Re: [vserver] Karmic guest problem with xorg and mtrr

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Wed 30 Dec 2009 - 03:32:58 GMT

On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 23:24 +0100, Thomas Weber wrote:
> Am Montag, den 28.12.2009, 14:12 -0500 schrieb John A. Sullivan III:
> [...]
> > Thanks. Just getting back to this now. That is what we do - these are
> > virtual desktops which we deliver using NX either via NoMachine's or
> > X2Go's (www.x2go.org) implementation. It worked fine under Hardy but
> > something must have changed in Karmic. I'll keep digging and let the
> > list know what I find. If anyone has already fought this battle, please
> > let me know! - John
>
> For NX you don't need no harware xorg packages at all. Just get rid of
> all xorg-* packages. I have installed xserver-common though.
> Watch out for meta-packages like ubuntu-desktop that probably depend on
> lots of hardware stuff (and pull these in).
>
> The biggest pain is (this %!$%^ half finished and strange behaving)
> upstart. See the wiki for this (/var/run and /var/lock as tmpfs inside
> the guest helps alot!).
>
> I have a working karmic vserver with NX and no extra capabilities.
> Though this was a jaunty vserver which I upgraded and fiddled around
> alot to get it working. The upstart wiki entry was the result of this.
> But I can't exactly tell which of my settings/changes got me the NX
> stuff running.
>
> I'd be happy to help you with specific NX issues and maybe you wanna
> document this too.
>
> Attached is the list of packages installed on that vserver (dpkg
> --get-selections) (note that this is probably much more than you
> want/need)
>
> regards,
> Tom
Snip>
Argh!!! I thought I would be able to report complete success. Ubuntu
Karmic installed. After a bit of hacking guided by the very helpful
X2Go folks, X2Go installed. But then I was badly bitten by upstart.

I haven't completed researching but it looks like a newer kernel might
help. I'm running 2.6.28. I noticed 2.6.32 with a VServer experimental
patch has been released. I'd love to give 2.6.32 a try because of the
shared memory capability. Is this kernel + vserver combination
reasonably stable or is it still being heavily debugged? Thanks - John