Re: [vserver] /proc/net/dev missing when networknamespaces are active

From: Adrian Reyer <are_at_lihas.de>
Date: Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 13:54:43 BST

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 02:39:30PM +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > I managed to get an IPv4-Adress with 'pump' instead of dhclient
> > once. But since then it fails again.
> DHCP configuration for guests has been done for many, many
> years (long before network namespaces were developed), by
> simply using different client identifiers for dhcp requests
> from the host and simply assigning the returned IP/net to
> the guest in question (services binding to 0.0.0.0 will
> use the assigned IP even if it changes during the lifetime
> of the guest)

IPv4-DHCP ist not the real problem, I'd not even need it in this
usecase. IPv6 is causing the headaches as netfilter-folks refuse to
implement IPv6-NAT for net mapping because 'IPv6 renumbering is easy'.
However, there is a static IPv6 address for permanent internal use and
to be able to access the outside, one would need 1 address from each
uplink range. With static assignments in /etc/vservers/*/interfaces this
is a big hassle. That's why I check netns, which works fine with IPv6,
but gives me trouble with IPv4.
Wouldn't it be for the changing uplink IPv6 prefixes, everything would
just be fine.

Regards,
        Adrian

--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91