Re: [vserver] Mini-Kernel - Working dot-config

From: Allan Latham <alatham_at_flexsys-group.de>
Date: Fri 24 May 2013 - 06:46:31 BST

Hi all

I have a version that works for me (so far at least).

I may have taken out some bits you need which I don't e.g. various
filesystems like vfat, nfs...

It can probably be pared down some more but this will do for now.

As expected it's much smaller. The size itself is no great problem these
days but I hope it is safer for having removed lots of features and
drivers that are not needed in KVM vm.

vmlinux is 2.1M vs 2.8M
initrd is 3.8M vs 11M
/lib/modules is 11M vs 107M

If anyone wants to try it the attachment is the .config file.

Raw oversimplified instructions:

apt-get install linux-source-vserver-3.2-beng
tar -cjf it to create the linux source directory
gunzip attachment
move/copy it to the linux source directory
cd to linux source dir
make menuconfig
tweak the config to your liking
nohup make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image > ~/log 2>&1 &

This makes a .deb in the directory above.

Install it with

dpkg -i xxx.deb

set grub to boot it once only (just in case!)
PS you need to have configured your grub to allow 'saved'

grub-reboot 2

reboot to try it

Many thanks to Ben for making these kernel in the first place and for
the helpful advice.

All the best

Allan