Re: [vserver] CentOS 7

From: Alber Lvs <linux-vserver_at_albertj.nl>
Date: Thu 17 Jan 2019 - 08:05:52 GMT

On 17-01-19 08:45, roman.pretory@austrianonlines.com wrote:

Hi Roman,

> I'm not happy about systemd too,
> but the choice is now playing like for ~8 years on Debian (only a bit
> diverts to redhat) and vserver or use LXD/LXC
> there is no doku (the webpage has no change for years),
> no repro nothing anymore,
There are still some options apart from the custom Vserver startup
scripts which were mentioned on this lists long time ago.

You can go for Devuan (Debian without systemd), and Linux Vservers
kernels from Psand repo. I've used that and it worked fine.

https://devuan.org/

For LXD the best host system imho is Ubuntu.
That works great, and for the guests you can use Gentoo, Alpine Arch,
Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu and more.
See here the overview of community build guest containers :
https://uk.images.linuxcontainers.org/

With LXD I ran a few times into minor issues with systemd, but those
could be worked around.

LXD is being packaged for Debian, while the older LXC is packaged for
Debian.
I must say I much prefer LXD over LXC.
With Ubuntu as LXD (or LXC) host you will likely have a much easier time
installing and maintaining time than having LXC or maybe in the future
LXD on Debian.

Perhaps also interesting :
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LXD#Running_systemd_based_containers_on_OpenRC_hosts

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd