From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 28 Apr 2004 - 20:22:39 BST

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 05:35:07PM +0000, Liam Helmer wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 16:55, Alex Lyashkov wrote:
> > ? ???, 28.04.2004, ? 19:45, Liam Helmer ?????:
> > > This question came up on the list a week or two ago, and the answer was
> > > that IPtables rules were changing the source address of outgoing
> > > connections. Did you check those to make sure that packets coming from
> > > your vserver addresses aren't being SNAT-ed to something?
> > using ip routing rules not fix all issues.
> > if me have packet exchange with some address from host and try send
> > packet from vps - kernel select source address from routing cache and
> > not use routing tables/rules.
> > If you use SNAT for change address you must add NAT local connections
> > but it not light process for kernel, and I not sure it help.
>
> I wasn't saying he should put any in: I was saying that his problem
> might be that there's a rule there that's changing the address. Also,
> I'm talking about iptables (i.e. netfilter), not ip routing tables.
>
> Actually, you could fix a lot of it with ip routing tables, if you use
> policy routing (from x to y route to z with source a). I was considering
> playing around with this, but it's more complex. This is yet another
> place where having an netfilter_ctx patch would be helpful: for marking
> packets so they correspond to ip routing rules (from context q route to
> z with source a).

hmm, I do not see a problem with implementing a
netfilter for xid (on outgoing packets), if you
(or somebody else) volunteers to do the userspace
part (for netfilter) to configure it ...

this is not an option for incoming packets though
as you cannot determine the target context, until
the receiving socket is found (which is too late
for netfilter stuff ;)