Re: [vserver] Ubuntu Vserver Kernel

From: Michael Jeanson <mjeanson_at_revolutionlinux.com>
Date: Mon 26 Nov 2007 - 15:24:56 GMT

Christoph Lukas a écrit :
> Hi,
>
>> but I will look at the changes (as soon as time permits)
>> and provide some feedback ... but definitely somebody
>> should become an official ubuntu maintainer then ...
>> (at least official from our side :)
>
> I could help with preparing modified patches for review, setting up a
> build environment and updating documentation.
>
> Probably Pasztor and I should join our efforts.
>
> I have already taken some time to try out Pasztor's kernel image. The
> vserver stuff seems to work fine.
>
> But I found some things we could probably optimize:
>
> The image is missing a few essential drivers (Intel HDA Sound, IPW3945
> wireless, etc) as these are part of the corresponding
> linux-{ubuntu,restricted}-modules packages.
>
> All this could be fixed if we would provide a kernel image flavour
> 'vserver' and a corresponding linux-{ubuntu,restricted}-modules package.
>
> I have already started working on this. Will keep you updated.
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

Hi,

I was already in the process of merging the vserver patch in the gusty kernel when I found this
thread and I would be very happy to join the effort.

I have already built the following packages using Pasztor patch :

- linux-image-2.6.22-14-vserver
- linux-headers-2.6.22-14-vserver
- linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-vserver
- linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-14-vserver

The kernel boots fine, the fglrx module from linux-restricted-modules also works but I have a
problem with the vserver part. All the binaries from util-vserver are core dumping without any
interresting debug messages.

I will probably continue working on this tonight to find what's wrong with the vserver part. I will
also try to clean the packages source and put that somewhere if anyone is interrested.

Michael

--
Michael Jeanson - Revolution Linux
http://www.revolutionlinux.com - (819) 780 8955 #1119